1918: The Formation of Czechoslovakian Diplomacy
25.10.2013 / 21:14
The function of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Czechoslovakian was formed on October 14, 1918 during the appointing of the government in exile in Paris. The first minister was Edvard Beneš. He was appointed to this post during the subsequent assembly of the first government, created on the grounds of an Interim Constitution (Law number 37/1918 Sb. Z a n.), which was discussed and adopted by the National Council on November 12-13, 1918.
The first Ministry of Foreign affairs of the Czech Republic was established in the Toskan Palace at the Prague Hradcany, which continues to serve Czech Foreign Service as the seat of the Consular Department today. The Ministry moved to its current location at the Cerninsky Palace after its reconstruction in the year 1934.
Between the years 1933-1939 an administrative complex called the “Janákova přistavba” was added on to the Cerninsky palace, which to this day holds the majority of the offices for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Benes retained the position of Minister of Foreign Affairs until December 18, 1935 when he was elected Head of State.
Image: Declaration of Independence, preceded by a seriesof diplomatic and military activities leading to the recognition of the right of self-determination. The image shows a letter taken from the Siberian archive of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic dated in Siberian Vladivostok September 6, 1918. The Admiral of the U.S. Navy wrote a telegram to Liutenant Broje with the reply from President Wilson to the Austro-Hungarian government, which acknowledges the people of the Austro-Hungarian Empire the right to self-determination.