Consulate General of the Czech Republic in New York

česky  english 

Advanced search

Article notification Print Decrease font size Increase font size Twitter

Long-term residence permit for the purpose of scientific research

An application for long-term residence for the purpose of scientific research is filed at a diplomatic mission if the applicant has concluded a hosting agreement with a research organization and intend to reside temporarily in the territory for more than 3 months (the “researcher”).

Particulars of the application:

  • Completed application form
  • Travel document
  • Two photographs
  • Hosting agreement
  • Written commitment of the research organization to cover any costs incurred in connection with the researcher's stay in the territory after the expiration of the residence permit, including costs incurred in connection with his leaving the territory, provided that such costs have been incurred within 6 months after the expiration of the hosting agreement and have been paid from public funds.
  • Criminal History Background
    o     For US nationals: an AFFIDAVIT confirming that you have never been indicted and sentenced for a felony of any kind. Your signature must be notarized by a Notary Public or you have to sign it in front of the Consular Officer. Please state your full name including your middle name in the form.
    o      Children under the age of 15 are not required to submit the affidavit or Criminal History Record
    o      For non US nationals: submit a Criminal History Record from the country of your nationality. It must be appropriatelly certified (Apostille or super-legalization) and it must be accompanied with the translation to Czech.

    In addition, if you have lived in any country for 6 months or more in the previous three years, you are required to submit a Criminal History Record issued by that country with appropriate certification and verified translantion to Czech. Please contact the Consulate for details.
  • Medical health/travel insurance

    Medical report requested from:

    Based on the request of the Chief Hygienist of the Czech Republic, from June 1, 2009 all applicants from Kenya, Congo, Moldavia, Mongolia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Vietnam applying for the visa over 90 days (type D) and residency permits in the Czech Republic must enclose to their application medical report confirming their health conditions, particularly negative tests for TBC and syphilis.

IMPORTANT. The medical report must be translated to Czech. The Czech Consulate does not provide translation services.

Furthermore, an application for long-term residence may be filed by the spouse, a minor or adult dependent child of the spouse or by a child of an alien who applies for issue of a long-term residence permit or is already staying in the territory for the purpose of scientific research (the “researcher's family member”).