Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic

česky   english  

Advanced search

Skip to menu

česky Article notification Print Decrease font size Increase font size Twitter

Masaryk´s Apartment – Cabinet

 

The official apartment of Minister of Foreign Affairs, so-called Masaryk´s Apartment, was built by architect Pavel Janák in the 1930s while the Czernin Palace being reconstructed. It is called after Minister of Foreign Affairs Jan Masaryk.


 

The first minister using the apartment was Kamil Krofta. In the World War II, the Czernin Palace was used as the Headquarter of the Reichsprotektor Office. In 1945, having returned from exile Jan Masaryk became an occupant of the apartment. Jan Masaryk perished in the apartment in the night on March 10, 1945, fortnight after the Communist putsch. After Masaryk´s demise the apartment was abandoned and converted into office rooms. The Masaryk´s apartment was reconstructed for ceremonial purposes after the Velvet revolution in 1989.

Cabinet of the Masaryk´s apartment is not furnished with the original furniture. However furniture made in 1930´s – 1940´s evokes an image of Masaryk´s era. Tambur clock made by Deniére, Paris in the end of the 19th century has a straight connection to Jan Masaryk. It was bought by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1935 and placed into the Embassy of Czechoslovakia in London. Jan Masaryk was Ambassador in the United Kingdom at that time. The room is decorated by painting Bay painted by Rudolf Kremlička, famous Czech painter of the 1st half of the 19th century. The painting was bought by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1927. Bronze bust of Jan Masaryk was made by sculptor Mary Duras-Kopf in the 1940s. The bust was bought by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1993.

galleries

Pracovna Masarykova bytu / Masaryk´s Apartement – Cabinet

.