Masaryk´s Apartment – Bathroom
18.03.2011 / 15:07
The official apartment of Minister of Foreign Affairs, so-called Masaryk´s Apartment, was built by architect Pavel Janák in the 1930s while the Czernin Palace being reconstructed. It is called after Minister of Foreign Affairs Jan Masaryk.
The first minister using the apartment was Kamil Krofta. In the World War II, the Czernin Palace was used as the Headquarter of the Reichsprotektor Office. In 1945, having returned from exile Jan Masaryk became an occupant of the apartment. Jan Masaryk perished in the apartment in the night on March 10, 1945, fortnight after the Communist putsch. After Masaryk´s demise the apartment was abandoned and converted into office rooms. The Masaryk´s apartment was reconstructed for representative purposes after the Velvet revolution in 1989.
An Art Deco bathroom is the only room of the Masaryk´s apartement which is still preserved in the original appearance in its entirety. Its equipment is still functional. One of first types of massage shower is a part of equipment. Massage shower heads lack moveable holders. An user of the massage shower could not regulate neither spray pattern nor spray direction of water. A servant bell is fixed onto the wall above a bathtub.
The bathroom was a venue of a tragical demise of minister Jan Masaryk who perished likely having been defenestrated from the window by the Communist Secret Police.