Burma Projects of People in Need, 2011
30.01.2012 / 22:41
People in Need, PIN
Project aim: People in Need’s Burma projects have been aimed at supporting the Burmese democratic movement in their struggle for human rights and democratic reforms in the country that is ruled by one of most repressive regimes in the world. The project focuses on two key objectives:
- Provide direct assistance to families of political prisoners and to activists both in Burma and Thailand
- To inform the international community about the situation in Burma on a continuous basis and to encourage more decisive support for Burma’s pro-democracy movement.
Some of the achieved outputs in 2011:
A: Direct assistance to Burmese democratic movement
- Financial assistance to 33 families of Burmese political prisoners was handed over through Assistance Association for Political Prisoners.
- 11 informal civic initiatives which strive to open up the society in Burma were financially supported.
- 2 seminars on computer security for 28 activists and journalists and one short training on new media and social networks for 13 activists.
- 3 exile Burmese media – Democratic Voice of Burma, Mizzima News and Irrawaddy – were given financial support to strengthen their brave reporters who document the real situation in Burma.
- A week-long feature photography course was held in Rangoon for 27 participants.
- 9 texts were published on a website for educating independent journalists inside Burma.
- 2 trainings for DVB management and reporters on scheduling program, live broadcasting and news coverage were organized.
- Two-weeks long study trip focused on transforming education for 4 Burmese teachers and experts was organized.
B: International support of the Burmese democratic movement
- Three public events on Burma were held in Czech Republic and abroad. 11 screenings of documentary films on Burma and public discussions were co-organized in Czech Republic and abroad.
- 6 statements, letters and press releases were initiated and then issued by the European Parliamentary Caucus on Burma.
- Advocacy trips to three CEE countries with a Burmese activist were organized.
Implementing partners: Assistance Association for Political Prisoners, Democratic Voice of Burma, Euro-Burma Network and other Burmese organizations operating in Burma, Thailand, Europe and USA
Financial support of MFA: 2 542 500 CZK