Indian Base for the Transformation of Burma III, 2012
16.08.2012 / 12:57
Burma Center Prague, o.p.s.
Description:This project responds to the lack of efficient and coordinated activities in India for democratic transition in Burma and to the dramatic situation of Burmese refugees living in India. The important position of India as a partner of the Burmese regime and as the world's largest democracy led to the conclusion that support should be facilitated also from Burma's Western side. The project harnesses the potential of information technologies to facilitate new ways of communication among activists inside Burma and abroad. It also draws attention to responsible tourism as a tool for supporting successful transition. In reaction to present developments, several project activities are piloted in Burma/Myanmar.
Outputs of Activities Implemented in 2012
• Support of Burmese civil society structures in India
• Provision of capacity-building training for Burmese activist and future leaders currently living in India.
o training provided to 50 members of Burmese NGOs
o computer training offered to 25 members of Burmese NGOs
• Establishing one computer lab in Delhi with access to internet for use of the Burmese community
• Support of local initiatives and strengthening the capacity of the civil society sector in Delhi, Western Burma and on the Indo-Burmese border
o 17 recipients received microgrants ranging from 4,500CZK do 9,000CZK
• Development of software platform including a website and a mobile application
• Awareness raising campaign about responsible tourism targeting both Burmese activists and international travelers
Amount of Support from Czech MFA for 2012: 1,685,900.- CZK