Support of Civil Society Organizations Involved in Human Rights Protection in Burma, 2010
03.03.2011 / 15:25
People in Need, 2010
Period: 1.2. 2010 – 31. 12. 2010
Financial support of MFA: 800 000 CZK
This is an extensive two-year long project implemented by People in Need and funded largely by the European Union from the European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights (EIDHR) fund. The project started on February 1, 2009 and will finish on January 31, 2011. Within the project, People in Need strengthens and supports the Network for Human Rights Documentation (ND Burma) which associates Burmese organizations at the Thai-Burma border which are involved in human rights monitoring inside Burma.
1. To improve human rights monitoring and human rights awareness in Burma
2. To increase the potential for peaceful democratic transition in Burma by strengthening civil society
3. To provide 13 Burmese civil society organisations with resources and capacities enabling them to efficiently and sustainably monitor human rights violations, educate people about human rights principles and strengthen the ability of the people to defend their rights
Some of the achieved outputs in 2010:
- Two-months-internships for 8 Burmese project coordinators have been organized in the Czech republic, Slovakia, Poland, Lithuania and Romania with the aim to improve their project management skills, share information from transformation of posttotalitarian societies and increase their advocacy capacities focused especially at EU and UN.
- Two-weeks-study and advocacy trip for 6 representatives of ND Burma have been organized to Prague, Brussels and Geneva with the aim to familiarize them with the functioning of international bodies and give them the opportunity to discuss the views of Burmese opposition with representatives of international institutions.
- 40 staff of ND Burma in Thailand have been trained in advocacy campaign management and 20 trainers of human rights documentation have been trained.
- Minigrants to 6 ND Burma organizations have been provided enabling them to run their own projects focused on documentation of human rights violation.
- Equipment for documentation of human rights violations have been provided to ND Burma organization as well as study literature on human rights and international advocacy.
Implementing partners: Peace Action, Training and Research Institute of Romania (Rumunsko), People in Peril (Slovensko), Eastern Europe Studies Centre (Litva), Helsinki Foundation for Human Rights (Polsko)