Support of Civil Society in Cuba
24.02.2011 / 15:21
People in Need, 2010
Period: January 2010 – December 2010
The organization was fulfilling the project through realization of the following aims:
1. Developing viable, informed and qualified independent civil organizations, independent journalist networks and pro-democracy groups in Cuba.
2. Improving living conditions of political prisoners held in Cuban prisons and their families.
3. Raising awareness of the real situation in Cuba among lay public and experts, political representatives and media on national and European level.
4. Advocating in order to influence the policy making process of the EU as such and EU member states towards the Cuban regime.
5. Strengthening the role and position of the Europe – Cuba NGO Network.
The activities designed to achieve the above mentioned goals have been carried out by People in Need directly in Cuba, as well as in the Czech Republic and other European countries.
Providing direct support to independent civil society and independent journalists as well as humanitarian aid to families of political prisoners in Cuba
The help on the ground is concentrated into three major spheres. Groups of independent civil society and independent journalists were given material and financial support by the People in Need. Another important part of the assistance is professional and practical training which were provided in form of seminars and workshops. PiN also continued with activities leading to improvement of living conditions of the political prisoners´ families via humanitarian aid.
Activities raising public awareness of the state of human rights in Cuba on Czech and European level
People in Need Foundation kept publishing an information bulletin in English and Spanish with news from Cuba called Cuba–Europe Dialoguesand continued to administer Cubalog website, which is a source of information about Cuba in English language. The aim of spreading information on Cuba is also achieved by dissemination news on Cuba prepared by the ICDC Committee.
One of the major public awareness raising activities in the Czech Republic is a yearly public event commemorating the anniversary of Cuba’s Black Spring, pointing at poor human rights record in Cuba.
Europe – Cuba NGO Network
People in Need is one of the founding members of a non-governmental organizations´ network focusing on human rights situation in Cuba called Europe–Cuba NGO Network. There were held two meetings of member organizations in 2010 and the Network released two joint statements on the EU policy towards Cuba.