Support of Libya and Egypt on their journey towards democracy, 2011
People in Need
Period: September – December 2011
Financial support from MFA: 880,000 CZK
Project aim: This project has been aimed at building capacities of civil society in Libya and Egypt through trainings and seminar and building their capacity to be involved in democratic transition of the country. A second pillar of the project focused on sharing transition experience of Central and Eastern European countries.
Specific aims were:
1. To inform about the Czech experience from political transformation, to facilitate public discussion and to provide minimum material support to emerging civic initiatives in Libya.
2. To educate about human rights, inclusive civil society, democracy principles and civic activism and to build capacities of civil sector in the region of Upper Egypt.
Some of the achieved outputs in 2011:
- Around 45 civil society members, community leaders and active teachers from Upper Egypt were trained in the areas of inclusive education, methods of teaching about human rights and mechanisms of civil activism
- Participants were informed about role of Czech civil society during the transition period and together with the lecturers they were discussing parallels and common issues, especially in the area of civil society development and education reform.
- Cooperation with communities in six governorates of Upper Egypt (Sohag, Al Minya, Luxor, Qena, Asyut, Asuan) was established.
- A methodical manual on teaching about human rights was translated to Arabic
- In spite of prepared activities no trips to Libya were realized, part of the grant of this project was returned before the end of year.