Promoting international cooperation in research and new technologies
04.02.2013 / 13:03
Special Envoy for Science and Technology
Dr. Petr Kaiser assumed the function of Special Envoy for Science and Technology at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic on November 26, 2010. Within the ministry's organigram the Special Envoy is assigned to the economic section.
Loretánské náměstí č. 5
118 00 - Praha 1
Tel.: + 420 224 182576
Fax: + 420 224 182905
The main responsibility of Special Envoy for Science and Technology is to support international cooperation in science, research and development of new technologies and promotion of achievements of the Czech RandD abroad. The Special Envoy:
- coordinates preparation of long-term projects and strategies of diplomatic service in supporting integration of Czech science and research in international cooperation;
- coordinates activities of the Czech MFA and its embassies related to science and research;
- on behalf of the Czech MFA, he works together with responsible departments, other governmental bodies and as well as with researchers and innovative entrepreneurs.
One of the main objectives of The National Research Development and Innovation Policy 2009-15 adopted by the Czech Government is „increasing integration of the Czech Republic in international cooperation in science, research and innovation“. High quality of education, science and development of new technologies is a prerequisite for ensuring long-term and sustainable competitiveness of the Czech economy on the global market. Supporting international cooperation in research and innovations is closely linked to promotion of economic interests of the Czech Republic abroad. Innovations attract investments into segments where new technologies have been created, thus they could serve as means for exploring new business opportunities.
It is important for Czech researchers and innovators to follow developments in advanced countries and explore opportunities for mutually beneficial cooperation as well as to learn best practices concerning commercialization of new technologies. Building on the capacities of the embassies, the MFA is ready to facilitate contacts and exchanges between our research centers, development teams and innovative companies and their partners abroad. Undoubtedly, any effective and efficient international RandD cooperation is based on joint projects of concrete research teams. However, recent experience tells us that its full potential is exploited, when communication between particular teams from different countries is underpinned by various agreements, memoranda of understanding, grants etc. Diplomacy can play an important role.
Czech science has traditionally a good reputation, yet not all of its achievements are as well- known as they deserve. In many areas Czech advanced research achieves excellency. Bearing this in mind, the MFA focuses primarily on following types of activities:
- promoting excellent achievements of Czech science and research (presentations, workshops);
- gathering information, through respective embassies, on actual development and main trends in research and innovative efforts in the host country;
- networking and facilitating contacts with emphasis on commercialization of new technologies;
- assisting Czech RandD subjects when exploring opportunities to commercialize their products on the markets in the third countries.
One already well-established programs is "Czech Technology Days". MFA organizes events under its umbrella together with Ministry of Industry and Trade and CzechInvest agency, as well as with universities and research centers.