27.06.2012 / 10:15
Private media in the Czech Republic mushroomed in the 1990s, and private radio and TV stations provide stiff competition for public broadcasters.
Public TV broadcaster
Česká televize (ČTV) operates four channels
- ČT1 main
- ČT2 the more marginally - arts/sports and debate - focused
- ČT24 the new news channel
- ČT4 the sports channel
Main private broadcasters
- TV Nova
- TV Prima
Czech public radio, Český rozhlas (ČRo), operates three national networks ČRo1, ČRo2 a ČRo3 as well as local services, foreign broadcast ČRo7 - Radio Prague (also transmitting online in several languages), classical music ČRo D-DUR and the news channel ČRo6 - formerly in cooperation with the US Radio Free Europe. There is around a hundred private radio stations on the air across the country.
The largest market share among the Czech newspapers is held by the tabloid Blesk daily, followed by MF Dnes and Právo daily with its most visited internet server novinky.cz. Each prints around 3-400 000 issues daily.
The Czech Republic also hosts the global headquarters and transmission centre of the US Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty which moved to Prague from Munich. RFE/RL is a private, international communications service to Eastern and Southeastern Europe, Russia, the Caucasus, Central Asia, and the Middle East, funded by the United States Congress. In the broadcast region, RFE/RL radio programs reach 35 million listeners. The radio transmits to regions where peaceful evolution of civil societies is in the U.S. national interest.
All main international press agencies have their representations in Prague.
Printed and Internet Media
- Blesk www.blesk.cz tabloid daily - highest share of the printed media market
- Mladá Fronta Dnes - with its frequently visited internet version iDnes www.idnes.cz - political center, leading reputable newspaper.
- Právo www.pravo.cz - daily, political center left, the only Czech owned daily newspaper.
- Novinky www.novinky.cz - joint venture between the daily Právo and the Seznam.cz search engine. Main news server in the Czech Republic.
- Lidové noviny - www.lidovky.cz - daily, liberal or political right.
- Hospodářské noviny www.ihned.cz - main business and economy daily
- České noviny www.ceskenoviny.cz public service of the Czech Press Agency
English language media:
- Radio Prague - news and webcast in English and other languages.
- Czech Happenings - public service in English Czech News Agency ČTK
- Czech Business Weekly - weekly English language business publication about economics, people and culture in the Czech Republic.
- Prague Post - Czech Weekly in English led mostly by expats writing for the large US communnity in Prague.
Overview prepared by the Permanent Representation of the Czech Republic to the EU in Brussels: www.mfa.cz/brussels .