Embassy of the Czech Republic in London

česky  english 

Advanced search
Article notification Print Decrease font size Increase font size

Family members of EU/EEA nationals

Visa information

I. Exemption from the visa regime for family members of EU/EEA nationals (valid from 1 January 2013):


For clarification purposes holders of passports of European Union member states and also Switzerland, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway are referred to further as EU nationals.

If you are a Non EU passport holder and are a family member of an EU national you may stay temporarily in the territory of the Czech Republic without a visa ONLY if you fulfil the following conditions:

  1. You hold either a Permanent Residence Card or a Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National issued by the competent British authorities in accordance with EU Directive 38/2004 (see examples below, always check the "Type Of Document" written on the vignette/sticker) and
  2. the period of stay in the Czech Republic does not exceed 90 days (three months).

The visa free rule applies even if travelling to the Czech Republic without the attendance of an EU citizen. Furthermore, this only applies when travelling directly to the Czech Republic.  If you travel to the Czech Republic via another EU member state please double check with that respektive state´s Embassy in London whether the visa free regime applies to you also in that country.



Examples of Permanent Residence Card and Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National


 residence card fm eea

Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National (old version of the vignette/sticker) issued according to Article 10 of EU Directive 38/2004 (above). The same vignette/sticker could be used also for issuing the Permanent Residence Card.


 permanent residence card

Permanent Residence Card (present version of the vignette/sticker) issued according to Article 20 of EU Directive 38/2004 (above) used after 10/2012. The same vignette/sticker could be used also for issuing the Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National.



Residence Document vignette/sticker used between 09/2010-10/2012 for issuing a Permanent Residence Card or a Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National





  1. The relevant DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 29 April 2004 on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States states in its article 5 (Right of entry): "2. Family members who are not nationals of a Member State shall only be required to have an entry visa in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 or, where appropriate, with national law. For the purposes of this Directive, possession of the valid residence card referred to in Article 10 (Remark: In the UK it is the Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National.) shall exempt such family members of EU/EAA nationals from the visa requirement."
  2. Holders of the UK Permanent Residence Card issued to the Family members of EU/EAA nationals according to Article 20 of EU Directive 38/2004 can in accordance with Act No. 326/1999 on the Residence of Aliens in the Territory of the Czech Republic stay temporarily in the territory of the Czech Republic without a visa if the length of stay does not exceed three months
  3. Non EU family members of EEA nationals who wish to travel according to EU Directive 2004/38/EC, should always contact the airline before purchasing the tickets to confirm if they will be allowed to board the plane without a visa.
  4. Holder of residence permit "Indefinite leave to remain in the UK" has to apply for a visa.
  5. Competent British authorities have been using four different versions of Residence Documentation vignettes (stickers). The Embassy has specimens just of three of them that are presented above. To comply with the visa free regime the "Type of Document" has to be either Permanent Residence Card or a Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National on any of the used Residence Documentation vignettes (stickers).
  6. Information about the visa requirements is possible to verify through Timatic. Timatic is the database of Passport, Visa and Health regulations used by the entire aviation industry. Airlines and travel agents use Timatic to provide advice on border requirements to passengers at the time of booking, and airlines use it at the time of boarding to ensure that passengers have sufficient travel documents for their destination and any transit points.


II. Visa is required:


If you are a Non EU passport holder family member of an EU national and you require a visa (i.e. you do not hold either of the two previously mentioned types of residence permit in the United Kingdom) you can apply for a visa at the Czech Embassy in London as a family member of an EU national only if you travel together with your EU family member to the Czech Republic.

You need to submit the following documents when applying for a Schengen visa:

  • completed visa application form;
  • 1 passport size photograph;
  • your valid passport (issued within the last 10 years) + copy, which should be valid for at least three months from the date of a planned departure from the Czech Republic or the Schengen area;
  • UK residence permit + copy, which should be valid for at least three months after the expiry date of your Schengen visa;
  • passport of your family member + copy;
  • you need to provide us with proof that the family member included on your application is related to you as claimed and is travelling with you. To demonstrate this, you will need to provide an original marriage certificate, civil partnership or birth certificate with the official authorisation (+ copy), i.e. either apostilled or superlegalised with the official translation in Czech or English (you can find a list of official translator on our website www.mzv.cz/london/en),
  • proof that you travel together with your EU national family member. You may prove this with a confirmed return airline/ferry/train ticket (yours and of your EU family member you are travelling with).

Your original documents might not be returned to you if you do not provide photocopies. The Embassy will not make photocopies on the premises.

If you wish to have your passport returned by post please supply a pre-paid self addressed special delivery envelope (available from the post office).

Please note: Additional documents may be required in every case.



The family members of the EU/EEA nationals can submit their visa applications without previous notice on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 11:00 to 11:45.


To apply for a visa with us, the Czech Republic must be your main destination. When travelling to the Czech Republic through/via another country please check with the appropriate Embassy or Consulate if you require a visa for that country. Each countries rule differs.



All applications must be made IN PERSON at the embassy in London. Postal applications will not be accepted.

Please note when presented a public document (Marriage or Birth certificate) it must be apostilled or superlegalized to be accepted by the Czech authorities as a proof of your relationship.

For further information you can contact the visa section via email visa.london@embassy.mzv.cz.

It may take up to 14 days (in complicated cases up to 30 days or even to 60 days) to obtain a visa after an application has been made. The visa for family members of EU nationals is free of charge.





When presented a legal document in a foreign country, it is often very difficult to determine whether the document is genuine or legal. There are two ways how to verify the authenticity of a foreign document.

1.     Apostille

The Apostille convention specifies the modalities through which a document issued in one of the signatory countries can be certified for legal purposes in all the other signatory states (for list of signatory states see http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=conventions.status&cid=41).

Such a certification that is attached to the document is called an apostille and it verifies that the official signature on your document is genuine. It is an international certification comparable to a notarisation in domestic law.

There are specific authorities in every country to issue the apostille. For apostille in the UK please see http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/what-we-do/services-we-deliver/legal-services/Legalisation/ .

2.     Superlegalization

Some countries do not issue apostille, than the superlegalization is applicable. Superlegalization of a document is when the Czech Embassy accredited to the country which issued the birth or marriage certificate verifies by the means of a stamp the document authenticity.




Extract from Residence of Aliens in the Czech Republic... 29 KB DOC (Word document) Sep 23, 2013