EU launches NEW Export Helpdesk
11.06.2013 / 10:16
The European Commission recently launched the new version of the Export Helpdesk - Your one-stop-shop on how to export to the EU.
This free online service is the one-stop-shop which explains to business in developing countries how to export to the EU. In just a few clicks, firms can find the EU requirements, taxes, tariffs, preferential arrangements, rules of origin, and statistics that apply to their products.The revised version is easier to use and has lots more information.
New features include:
- A "My export" section that with just one click provides the key data applying to a product;
- New pages explaining how the EU works and what the rules are for doing business in the EU;
- Tips and tricks for better understanding EU legislation;
- Detailed explanations on rules and proofs of origin necessary in order to benefit from preferential arrangements;
- A 3-minute video explaining how to use the Export Helpdesk.
The Export Helpdesk, created in 2004, is a concrete example of the EU’s commitment to facilitating trade with developing countries. Available in English, French, Spanish and Portuguese, the Export Helpdesk aims to support those countries most in need. Besides keeping the website regularly updated, the Export helpdesk team also organises capacity-building training in the field. “We not only inform, but also explain” is their motto.
Why export to the EU?
- The EU is a large market: its half a billion of inhabitants account for 7% of the world population;
- The EU generates 25.2% of the world’s GDP;
- The EU has a single set of trade rules. Each rule applies to 27 countries;
- EU import tariffs are amongst the lowest in the world;
- Developing countries have excellent market access to the EU with low or zero tariffs and other market distortions are significantly reduced.
- Fuels excluded, the EU imports more from Least Developed Countries than the US, Canada, Japan and China put together;
- Around 70 % of the EU’s agricultural imports come from developing countries.
How can the Export helpdesk help your business?
- How? It provides you with the full list of requirements your product needs to fulfil to enter the EU market;
- How much? It calculates the import tariff applying to your product and tells you if a preferential tariff applies in your specific case;
- With whom? It provides you with a list of useful contacts in the EU, such as relevant public bodies and chambers of commerce;
- Who are my competitors? It helps your market research by providing detailed statistics on EU trade flows product-by-product.
- What are my preferences? It explains the preferential trade agreements applying to your case and how to prove the origin of your product;
Do you know…
- …what has to appear on the label?
- …how to certify your product as “organic”?
- …which chemical dyes are banned in the EU?
- …how much duty you should pay to enter the EU market?
- …if your case benefits from a duty preference?
- …how to prove the origin of your product?
- …where to check if the import quota has already been filled?
Check it at the Export Helpdesk! www.exporthelp.europa.eu