The Czech Embassy
02.11.2012 / 11:33
Embassy of the Czech Republic in Stockholm - a Brief History of the building
The house was built by Ludvig Tibell, a senior inspector and a member of Kumlien Development Group, according to the plans of Axel and Hjalmar Kumliens in 1880. The external appearance of the building has not changed much by the following construction works and is nearly faithful to the original today.
The house was sold to the new owner, Baron Johan Mannerheim, in 1918. Baron Johan Mannerheim was brother of the famous general Mannerheim who later became Finnish Field Marshal. Marshal Mannerheim himself visited the house occasionally. The new owner has rebuilt the house into a residence for his family according to suggestions of the architect Isak Gustaf Vlasin. At that time, the main interior decorations of the building were created.
In 1923 the house was inhabited by Prince Carl and his family. In 1930 he made further works in the building, whereby the elevator was installed.
In 1938 the Foundation of St. Ingrid became the owner of the house and it was managed as the monastery by the nuns of the Dominicans order. The object was sold in 1990 and it has been abandoned.
The Czech Republic bought the building in 1997 and reconstructed it into the Embassy of the Czech Republic in 1998-1999. In June 1999 the building was given into use after the Embassy Czech Republic left its previous building on Floragatan.