Value Added Tax (VAT) refund for tourists
04.02.2008 / 06:47
Here you can find the information about tax free shopping for tourist in the Czech Republic.
The price of the goods including VAT must exceed 1,000 CZK. Goods must be purchased in one day from a retailer marked by a TAX REFUND sign. A TAX REFUND FORM and a receipt must be obtaind from the retailer. The purchased goods must leave the country within 30 days after the day of purchase. The VAT refund must be claimed (1) with the same retailer in person or (2) through specialized collecting agencies (such as Global Refund, VAT MAX).
How to receive a VAT refund:
1. Buy goods for more than 1,000 CZK in one day from a retailer marked by TAX REFUND sign.
2. Request the envelope, the VAT REFUND FORM and the receipt.
3. Have the VAT REFUND FORM filled out, indicating the VAT amount, and have it stamped by the retailer.
4. Have your VAT REFUND FORM validated at the border or at the airport by the Czech Customs Office. If you travel by train you must ask for a Customs Officer.
5. (a) Stop at any of the specialized collecting agency's refund office at the border and receive a cash refund; or (b) return home and mail your VAT forms and receipts to any of the specialized collecting agencies, requesting the refund (within 90 days from the day of purchase); or (c) keep all the forms and receipts and claim the refund with the same retailer during your next trip to the Czech Republic (within 90 days from the day of purchase).
Czech citizens or persons residing in the Czech Republic cannot apply for a VAT refund.