Consulate of the Czech Republic in Sydney

česky  english 

Advanced search
Article notification Print Decrease font size Increase font size

Short term stay (up to 90 days)

Here you can find information on visa requirements for tourists, entrepreneurs, short term workers or employees, short term students and other short term visitors.

If you plan to travel to the Czech Republic then you should go through following information to determine if you need a visa to enter the Czech Republic and what kind of visa should you apply for. You should bear in mind that the Czech Republic is the member of Schengen area and a Schengen visa issued by any member state of the Schengen area is valid for the Czech Republic as well.

In case you are not sure, please contact us either via email or at our phone numbers: +61 (0)2 9371 0860, +61 (0)2 9371 0479 or +61 (0)2 9371 8877.

1. List of countries with visa waiver regime

If you are holding a passport issued by any country that is on the visa waiver regime list and you are planning to travel to the period of time not exceeding the maximum period of stay mentioned in the list (usually 90 days) within 180 days, then you do not need a Czech visa and you may travel to the Czech Republic only with your passport, travel insurance and sufficient funds for your stay.

In case your country is not on the list, proceed to the next paragraph.

Special note for Australian and New Zealand Passport Holders

Holders of valid Australian or New Zealand passports can enter the Schengen area (including the Czech Republic) and stay there for up to 90 days within every 180 days without a visa, excluding those travelling for gainful purposes. This 90 days period applies to the whole Schengen area and the 180 days period is counted from the date of the first entry to the Schengen area.
Holders of Australian and New Zealand emergency passports do need visa to enter the country.

Important Notes

Australian and New Zealand Passport Holders travelling to the Czech Republic may be asked to produce the following documents by the immigration officers at the border crossing:

  1. passport valid for at least 3 months after the last day of your stay
  2. evidence of sufficient financial funds (cash, cerdit cards etc.)
  3. travel health insurance policy that covers medical expenses related to injury or illness in the Czech Republic including expenses connected with transportation of the foreigner to the country of which they are a passport holder or to a country in which they have permanent residence. Minimum insurance cover must be of 30,000.- EUR. The policy must be valid for the duration of their stay in the Czech Republic
  4. evidence of accommodation arrangements for the duration of their stay in the Czech Republic or evidence of sufficient financial funds for accommodation
  5. evidence of sufficient funds to cover the travel expenses (e.g.return ticket to their country of residence, financial funds to buy such a ticket).

After comming to the Czech Republic all foreigners must report to the Czech Foreigner's Police. More information can be found here.

2. Schengen visa

In case you already have a valid Schengen visa in your passport you need not apply for another on since you may enter the territory of the Czech Republic with valid Schengen visa.

3. Family members of citizens of the Czech Republic or any other country of the European Union

The application from family members (spouse, children younger than 21 year of age, parents of a child younger than 21 year of age) of citizen of any country of the European Union is handled under easier procedure.

S/he has to submit only only visa application, 1 photograph, passport and a document confirminng her/his relation to the citizen of the European Union (marriage certificate, birth certificate etc.)
Family members need not pay the visa fees and in case it is needed they may apply at the border cŕossing point or at the airport with above mentioned documents.

4. Main travel destination

In case the Czech Republic is not the main destination of your travel in the Schengen area (i.e. the destination where you are going to spend most of your travel time) or is not the point of first entry to the Schengen area, you have to apply at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is the main destination or the point of first entry

5. General visa requirements

In case you do not fall into any of the categories mentioned above, you can apply for following types of Schengen visas up tu 90 days of stay - type C according to the purpose of your stay.
Citizens of Fiji and Vanuatu shall apply at the Embassy of France in Fiji or Vanuatu.

Tourist and Business visits

Employment (Work or Research)

In case the visa application is not approved the applicant will be informed about the reasons. If so required by the applicant the information will be given in writing.