APPLYING FOR A PASSPORT
Passports of the Czech Republic contain biometric codification of face and fingerprints. The so-called "flash-passport" issued faster for a limited period of time, does not contain biometric features. Passports which do contain biometric features do not require a tourist visa to the United States upon prior registration via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/. Passports which do not contain the biometric features do require a US tourist visa. The passports of the Czech Republic are valid for the entire period for which they were issued or 3 months if surname is changed due to marriage.
The Embassy of the Czech Republic in Tel Aviv accepts applications for passport after scheduling an appointment at the phone number 03-691 8283. You can collect your new passport only at the place where you have filed the application. The average processing time is two months. The fee (1.200 CZK, approx. 250 NIS - subject to exchange rate) is paid upon collecting of the passport.
Documents necessary to process the application:
- Identity Document - valid Czech passport, valid Czech identity card;
- Confirmation of Czech Citizenship - valid Czech passport, valid Czech identity card, certificate of citizenship not older than one year (Note: if the certificate has been issued more than one year ago, new citizenship inquiry needs to be conducted);
- Confirmation of First Name and Family Name - valid Czech passport, valid Czech identity card, registry document issued in the Czech Republic - birth certificate, marriage certificate;
- Confirmation of the Personal Birth Number - valid Czech passport, valid Czech identity card, registry document issued in the Czech Republic - birth certificate, marriage certificate, or birth number document;
- Declaration of Czech Citizenship - to be filled out at the Embassy upon applying;
Photograph can be of the standard 4,5 x 3,5 cm size or larger (for example 5 x 5 cm). We suggest to arrange for the photograph in a photo shop near the Embassy which already has an experience with the specifics - the consular section can provide a contact.
The photograph for biometric passport must satisfy all the following criteria:
- Photograph may not be older than six months.
- Photograph must be in sharp focus and clear, printed on a high quality paper at high resolution.
- The face must be centered and must cover most of the photograph - the focus may not be too close up or too distant. The head may not be tilted.
- You must look straight to the camera. Facial expression must be neutral, the mouth must be shut.
- Eyes must be open and entirely visible.
- Red eyes or shadows on the face are not permitted.
- Eyes behind the glasses must be entirely visible, flash reflections are not permitted, neither are tinted glasses.
- Head covers are not permitted except for religious reasons.
- Background must be single- and light-colored or neutral, contrasts must be natural, light must be uniform across the whole background.
- Some leniency is allowed in case of photographs of children younger than 5, for example, the mouth can be open a little bit, position can be slightly tilted. Eyes must be open. Accompanying person or his/her hands must not show, neither toys or pacifier.
Passports for Children:
- Children younger than 15 years are issued a passport valid for five years. Minors between 15-18 years are issued a passport valid for ten years. "Flash-passport" is issued for six months.
- Parents/legal guardians file application for their children younger than 15 years. If they are capable of signing their names, the children must come to file the application along with the parent. Minors between 15-18 years can file the application only with a consent of a parent/legal guardian.
Additional important information:
- The processing time for a biometric passport is 120 days, but in many cases the passport is ready in two months. (Processing time in the Czech Republic is 30 days.)
- It is possible to apply for a so-called "flash-passport" without biometric features. This type of passport is issued for six months and the application processing time is 60 days. (Processing time in the Czech Republic is 15 days.)
- Application cannot be filed at a honorary consulate.
- Application must be filed by an applicant or by a parent/legal guardian, powers of attorney cannot be accepted.