Third country nationals & former Czech citizens
01.11.2010 / 03:25
Third country nationals (i.e. those who are not citizens of any of the member states of the European Union, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Iceland and those foreign nationals who are not members of the family of a citizen of any of the said countries) can apply for permanent residence
Site in progress. We are currently updating this information. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Permanent residence is generally granted to third-country nationals after five uninterrupted years of residence in the territory of the Czech Republic.
It is possible to apply for permanent residence permit without a condition of a previous uninterrupted residence in the territory of the Czech Republic :
1. for humanitarian reasons:
- a spouse of an asylum seeker and your marriage commenced before the asylum seeker entered the territory of the Czech Republic
- a minor child of an asylum seeker or a child dependant on a care of such asylum seeker if you do not apply for asylum
- a former citizen of the Czech Republic in the past
2. for reasons worthy of special attention
3. if the residence of the foreign national in the territory is in the interest of the Czech Republic
4. if the person is a child without support, of age or not of age, of a foreign national who resides in the territory under a permanent residence permit, if the reason for the application is a life of these foreign nationals in the same household
5. previous permanent residence permit was invalidated due to an uninterrupted residence outside the EU for a period of 12 months without a serious reason (serious illness for inst.) and if the period that passed since the effect of such decision does not exceed 3 years
FEES For exact permanent residence permit Fee CLICK HERE
Fees paid in cash or money order should be made payable to the Embassy of the Czech Republic. We do not accept personal checks. The fee may change without prior notice!
1. Completed permanent residence permit application form - the form must be filled out completely with a ball point pen or by a typewriter with black or blue ink. Do not use red ink to complete the application. Please do not forget to sign the application in the place indicated at the bottom of the fourth page. When completing the application please do not forget to state your full name (as it appears in your passport). All dates are to be written: DAY/MONTH/YEAR [the Czech way :-)].
TO DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION FORM PLEASE click HERE
2. Two (2) same recent passport photographs (2 x 2 inch)of the applicant's entire face as to show a clear and exact likeness of the applicant (i.e. without sunglasses or a head cover, unless worn for religious or medical reasons). The photo must be taken against a plain, light background with a good contrast in color or black & white. It must be of clear and good quality and printed on regular photographic paper.
3. Original passport and a copy of data page (the one with your picture) of the passport
You must submit your original passport or official travel document recognized by the Schengen countries with a validity exceeding the intended stay of the applicant by at least 6 months. Please make sure that the passport has a blank page so that the visa can be affixed to it.
If you need your passport during the processing time, please send a request with your application as well as a stamped envelope so that the passport can be returned to you. The passport must be resubmitted at the end of the application process for the issuance of the visa after the Embassy has received the approval from the Czech authorities. During this time, you must be present in the US.
4. Document confirming sufficient financial resources
5. Document confirming the purpose of stay
6. Document confirming accommodation
- If you are staying in private accommodations, the original statement from the owner of an apartment/house stating his/her ability and willingness to provide accommodation (signature must be notarized by a Czech notary);
- If you are leasing an apartment/house, the original or a notarized copy of the lease contract;
- If you are subletting, the original or a notarized copy of the lease contract and an affidavit signed by the owner confirming the sublet (signature must be notarized by a Czech notary).
For more information click HERE.
7. Criminal History Background
An affidavit confirming that you have never been indicted and sentenced for a felony of any kind. For the form click HERE.
Your signature must be notarized by a Notary Public. Please state your full name including your middle name. No further verification is required.
In addition, if you have lived in any country for 6 months or longer in the previous three years, you are required to submit a Criminal History Background issued by that country. It must be appropriatelly certified (Apostille or super-legalization). This does not apply, if you were younger than 15 years of age.
For non US nationals only. You will need a Criminal History Record from the country of your nationality. Itmust be appropriatelly certified (Apostille or super-legalization).This does not apply, if you are younger than 15 years of age.
IMPORTANT. The Criminal History Records must be translated to the Czech language, the Czech Embassy does not provide translation service, click HERE to get information about the translators and then the translation has to be verified by the Czech Consulate, click HERE for the exact Consular Fees (151c - verification of translation),
8. Please enclose a pre-paid, self-addressed, over-night envelope. We only accept mail services such as EXPRESSMAIL (the fee is $18.30 - for more information please click here) or FEDEX (for future tracking, we suggest keeping the registration number of the envelope). The Czech Embassy is not responsible for lost or damaged documentation.
Send the complete application to:
Embassy of the Czech Republic
Spring of Freedom, NW
Washington, DC 20008
Do not forget to include your phone number and e-mail address for future communication!
The Czech Embassy does not provide translation services. For more details please click HERE