english  česky 

Advanced search
Article notification Print Decrease font size Increase font size

Travelling with pet animals to EU/the Czech Republic

Travelling with pet animals is - from 1st October 2004 - possible only with a passport and under the conditions set out in Regulation (EC) Regulation (EC) No 576/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the animal health requirements applicable to the non-commercial movement of pet animals.

Cestování se psy, kočkami a fretkami je od 1. října 2004 možné pouze s pasem a za podmínek stanovených nařízením Evropského Parlamentu a Rady (ES) č. 576/2013, o veterinárních podmínkách pro neobchodní přesuny zvířat v zájmovém chovu.

Státní veterinární správa -                    http://eagri.cz/public/web/svs/portal/ (CZE)

State Veterinary Administration -         http://eagri.cz/public/web/en/svs/portal/ (EN)

Veterinární osvědčení do EU/ Veterinary certificate to EU

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/cz_non_com_pe.pdf  (CZE)

Central Veterinary Authority: State Veterinary Administration of the Czech Republic

http://eagri.cz/public/web/en/svs/portal/bip-in-the-czech-republic/ (EN)

Celní správa ČR/Custom administration of the Czech Republic

http://www.celnisprava.cz/cz/Stranky/default.aspx (CZE)

http://www.celnisprava.cz/en/o-nas/Pages/default.aspx (EN)



The following is required for traveling with dogs, cats or ferrets to the Czech Republic:

1. Completed Veterinary Certificate (PDF, 100 KB)  signed by an official veterinarian. The sample Veterinary Certificate provided here is not mandatory. However, any other form or document, provided by the veterinarian, must contain the information listed bellow:

A. Country of Dispatch of the animal

B. Owner/responsible person accompanying the animal

· Name

· Address

· Country

· Telephone number

C. Description of the animal

· Species

· Breed

· Sex

· Date of birth

· Coat (color and type)

D. Identification of the animal

· Microchip number / tattoo number

· Location of microchip / tattoo

· Date of microchipping / tattooing

E. Rabies Vaccination

· Manufacturer and name of vaccine

· Batch number

· Date of the vaccination

· Expiration date of the vaccine

Once signed by the official veterinarian or endorsement by the competent authority, the certificate is valid for four months, or until the expiration date of the vaccination, whichever comes first. To learn who is an "official veterinarian" in the USA please check the USDA (United States Deaprtment of Agriculture) and APHIS (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service).

The United States and Canada are both included in Annex II EC Regulation (EC) No 576/2013 , which means that both countries are considered low risk regions for rabies. Therefore no rabies serological test is required.

As of October 1, 2004, the rabies vaccination does not have to be administered at least 30 days prior to entry into the Czech Republic. The rabies shot will have to be repeated either annually or every two years in accordance with the type of vaccine used.

Dogs, cats and ferrets less then 12 weeks old are permitted to travel to the Czech Republic without prior inoculation against rabies (however the pet does need the chip or tattoo). In addition, the animal must travel with a statement from a veterinary doctor, which declares that the animal resided at the birthplace until travel date and has not been in contact with any animals possibly infected with rabies. Please be aware that other EU member countries might have different rules regarding the import of pets younger then 3 months of age. If you intend on traveling to another European country with your young pet, you will have to contact the Embassy representatives of that particular country to find out if additional requirements apply.

For travel to the Czech Republic with your dog, cat, or ferret, a tick treatment or an echinococcus treatment is not required.

2. Identification - tattoo or microchip . If your pet will be identified through a microchip, please be aware that the microchip must meet the ISO standard ( International Organization for Standardization) Annex A, 2.1, ISO # 11785. For your information, the HomeAgain microchip from AKC Companion Animal Recovery, which is manufactured in compliance with Annex A, 2.1, ISO # 11785 meets the requirements. If microchip does not meet the ISO standards than you have to keep an applicable microchip reading device at the time of crossing borders to the Czech Republic.


Pets other than dogs, cats and ferrets can enter Czech Republic with a health certificate issued by your local veterinarian, unless the species of subspecies is listed under the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES) or the US Endangered Species Act, This health certificate cannot be older then 10 days upon arrival to the Czech Republic.

If your animal is listed under CITES or under the US Endangered Species Act special requirements apply. For more information on CITES see the CITES website of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.


Any dog, cat or ferret traveling alone is considered commercial trade, and is subject to an additional requirement:
- commercial animals and pets traveling unaccompanied must have been clinically examined by a USDA certified veterinarian within 24 hours before departure to the Czech Republic and must travel with a Veterinary Certificate_Commercial (PDF, 165 KB) which states the date and time of the examination.

If your pet is considered commercial trade, a veterinarian in the Czech Republic will examine it after the arrival.

Pets under 3 months traveling as commercial trade do not need a rabies vaccination but do need a microchip / tattoo and a health certificate issued no more than 24 hours before departure to the Czech Republic.


If you have any questions, please contact

State Veterinary Administration of the Czech Republic
Slezska 7
CZ-120 00 Prague 2
e-mail: e.podatelna@svscr.cz

Information regarding the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) in the Czech Republic: www.mzp.cz