english  česky 

Advanced search
Photo: P. Goedhart
Article notification Print Decrease font size Increase font size

Restauration of the "Comenius Stone" in Amsterdam

In 1920,   the first stone for a monument  of Jan Amos Comenius (1592-1670) in his honour was unveiled on the Valeriusplein, in front of the Amsterdams Lyceum. The stone was unveiled on the occasion of the 250th anniversary of the death of Jan Amos Comenius. 
The monument was never realised, but the first stone remained. This historical "Comenius Stone" was lifted and removed on June 16th, 2017 and will be replaced after its restauration.