Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic

česky   english  

Advanced search

Skip to menu

Černínský palác na podzim
Photo: Markéta Trnková (©MZV)
Article notification Print Decrease font size Increase font size

Stay of Foreign Nationals after the End of State of Emergency


● All foreign nationals can stay in the Czech Republic for additional 60 days after the end of the state of emergency – that is until July 16, 2020.

● This option concerns all foreign nationals, i.e. both those who need visas / residence permits to stay in the Czech Republic and those who can stay here visa-free.

● Stay of these foreign nationals in the Czech Republic during this period is legal.

Foreign national whose Schengen visa or whose visa-free stay has run out during the state of emergency does not need to request extension from the Alien Police inspectorate. Visas will not be extended and exit orders will not be issued.

Upon departure from the Czech Republic, each foreign national will be issued an “exit stamp” into the passport (see below), which will indicate the legality of his / her stay in the Czech Republic. This stamp will include the date of exit and will indicate legality of stay to the authorities of those states through which the foreign national might transfer when homeward bound – the reason being to avoid any possible penalization. The exit stamp is used by Alien Police as of May 4.

According to the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs the 60-day bridging period concerns also employment permits issued by Labor Office of the Czech Republic, i.e. holders of Schengen visas for the purpose of employment and employment cards can continue to work.

Foreign nationals who stay in the Czech Republic from March 12, 2020, to July 16, 2020, on the basis of a (1) Schengen visa for the purpose of employment, (2) Schengen visa for the purpose of seasonal employment, (3) long-term visa for the purpose of seasonal employment, and (4) special work visa can stay in the Czech Republic until September 16, 2020, provided the employment continues.

Holders of long-term visas or residence permits who intend to continue their studies, work or other type of activity in the Czech Republic should contact the office of the Department of Asylum and Migration Policy of the Ministry of the Interior according to the place of residence.


Exit stamp sample