česky  english 

Advanced search
Article notification Print Decrease font size Increase font size

History of the Embassy building in Sweden

Embassy of the Czech Republic in Stockholm - a Brief History of the Building 

The house was built by Ludvig Tibell, a senior inspector and a member of Kumlien Development Group, according to the plans of Axel and Hjalmar Kumliens in 1880. The building was built on vacant plots in the Östermalm district, when the surrounding houses had not yet been built. In this street, four almost identical three-storey buildings were built (Villagatan No. 15, 17, 19, 21), which differed from each other only in a few external details.

Unlike other buildings, our building has not undergone many construction modifications and still almost faithfully corresponds to its original appearance. The owner of the building, Ludvig Tibell, was a senior auditor and a member of Kumlien's development group, which acquired the land from Byggnadsförening. However, after the completion of the construction, he got into financial difficulties and sold the building.

The house got a new owner, Baron Johan Mannerheim, in 1918. Baron Johan Mannerheim was brother of the famous general Mannerheim who later became Finnish Field Marshal. Marshal Mannerheim himself visited the house occasionally. The new owner rebuilt the house into a residence for his family according to plans by the architect Isak Gustaf Clason. At that time, the main interior decorations of the building were created.

In 1923 the house was inhabited by Prince Carl of Sweden and Norway, Duke of Västergötland, and his family. Prince Carl is an ancestor of several members of European royal houses today, including the reigning monarchs King Harald V of Norway, King Philippe of Belgium, and Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg. In 1930 Prince Carl made further alterations to the building, whereby the elevator was installed.

In 1938 the Foundation of St. Ingrid became the owner of the house and it was managed as a monastery by the nuns of the Dominican Order. The object was sold in 1990 and afterwards it had been abandoned.

The Czech Republic bought the building in 1997 to serve as Embassy of the Czech Republic. The design for the reconstruction was prepared by the AP studio, run by architect Josef Pleskot. The works were carried out between 1998 and 1999. In June 1999, the entire property was handed over for use after the Embassy of Czech Republic left its previous location on Floragatan 13.


Historie budovy ZÚ Stockholm / Embassy of the Czech Republic in Stockholm - a Brief History of the Building