english  česky 

Advanced search
Article notification Print Decrease font size Increase font size

Wedding in the Czech Republic

Civil and Religious Weddings in the Czech Republic are fully recognized by the respective legal systems of all other countries around the world. Please be advised that the following rules and regulations apply in case you wish to apply for a marriage contract in the Czech Republic:


Canadian citizens are required to present the following documents to the local authorities :

a) Valid passport;

b) Long-Form Birth Certificate; if you don 't possess one, you can apply for it here;

c) If widowed, Death Certificate of the former spouse (original);

d) If divorced, the Divorce Court Decree Absolute (original);

e) Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage (document must not be older than 6 months prior to the wedding), i.e., that the applicant pursuant to the provisions of the respective State legislatures is free to marry. Such Certificate can be issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. The application specimen is available here;

f) Document confirming citizenship and permanent residence. These documents may have the form of an Affidavit sworn by the Canadian citizen before a Notary Public, lawyer, solicitor or commisioner of oaths in Canada or a Canadian Consular Officer abroad. The document must include his/her full name, date and place of birth, marital status, nationality, passport No., date and place of its issuance, permanent address, and also his/her fiancé(e)'s full name, date and place of birth, and permanent address;

g) Additional Documents for religious weddings (Baptism certificate, Marriage Preparation Course Certificate, Letter of delegation from your priest).

Important Information :

The application of a marriage contract should be submitted in advance (allow one week to one month - depending on the location of your wedding) of the wedding ceremony, to the City Hall (Městský úřad, Magistrát, Úřad městské části) authorised to keep the records for the district in which the bride or groom is residing permanently, or to the local church.

All documents issued in Canada except the passport must be first authentificated by Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada and then superlegalized by one of the consular posts of the Czech Republic in Canada. More information on superlegalization

Each document must be presented to the local authorities in the Czech Republic translated into the Czech language. More information on translations into the Czech language in Canada

If the bride or groom does not speak Czech, a court interpreter must attend the wedding ceremony.

Sometimes, a confirmation on legal stay in the Czech Republic issued by the Foreigner Police Agency is required by the wedding authority. Contact information on appropriate Foreigner Police.



Certificate of Non-Impediment 31 KB DOC (Word document) Jan 11, 2012