česky  հայերեն  english 

Advanced search

Study (long-term)

Long-term residence permit for the purpose of study is intended for foreigners who will study in the Czech Republic for a period longer than three months in a study program longer than one year (for example study at a university or higher vocational school, study at a high school or conservatory in an exchange program, specialized and language preparation with subsequent university studies and in certain cases training (unpaid), volunteering etc. Should the intended duration of study be longer than three months but shorter than one year, an application for long-term visa should be filed.

For more information about when to file an application for a long-term visa or a long-term residence permit, see article Long-Term Visa vs. Residence Permit.

Applications for long-term residence permits for the purpose of study are submitted at the diplomatic missions of the Czech Republic according to the consular territorial competence. The diplomatic mission forwards the application to the Ministry of the Interior for evaluation and decision. If the application is evaluated positively, the diplomatic mission where the application was filled issues a long-term visa for the purpose of collecting the long-term residence permit for the purpose of study. The foreigner collects the permit after the arrival to the Czech Republic at the Ministry of the Interior.


Long-term study application requirements:

o   application form

o   travel document (Passport validity of at least 11 months from the date of application)

o   2 photos

o   biometric features – fingerprints

o   fee

o   supporting documents proving

  • purpose of stay (for example school acceptance letter etc.)
  • accommodation (for example rent agreement etc.)
  • financial means (for example bank statement and international credit card etc.)

o   criminal record extract issued by the state of the applicant´s citizenship and by the state where the applicant resided in the last three years for more than six months

o   children submit agreement of parents/legal guardians with the stay of the child in the Czech Republic (except when the parent travels with the child, when the parent travels with the child or when the agreement cannot be obtained due to reasons independent of the foreigner)

o   upon request a document proving fulfillment of measures against spread of infectious disease

o   travel health insurance – in case of visa issuance


Detailed information about applications for the long-term residence permit for the purpose of study is available at the web site of the Ministry of the Interior, under which competence the portfolio of residence permits falls.


Legal sources:

·       Act No 326/1999 Coll., on the residence of foreign nationals in the Czech Republic

·       Act No 111/1998 Coll., on higher education institutions 

·       Act No 198/2002 Coll., on volunteer service 


Useful links:

·       Ministry of the Interior

·       Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport